Thursday, February 2, 2012

Talking Beats Silence

This week we learned all about "exigences".  Problems.   Problems that can be resolved through discourse and communication.  Too often, I find that people do not talk out their problems and keep everything that bothers them bottled up until they are about ready to explode.  Do they not realize that by addressing the situation earlier, they can avoid weeks of built up  anger.  For instance, recently I was having problems with my roommate.  She constantly was throwing all of her clothes, trash, and books all over our floor and room to the point where I almost could not walk!  At first, I kept letting it go hoping that she would get the hint when I started constantly picking up after her.  Well, let me tell you, that did not work! So, this past weekend, I told her, as calmly as possible, that we needed to talk.  We went to Redifer dining hall, sat down with our lunches, and I finally confronted her about the situation.  The first thing she responded with was the question of why I never said anything before and that she would of course pick up after herself from now on.  I felt so dumb after realizing that I could of not wasted so much time being annoyed with her if I would of just spoke my mind from the start.   That was an exigence that I held out on addressing and I regret that.

I really think that all things can work out and cause you much less stress if you are willing to handle issues that you are dealing with properly. I want to hear about exigences you all have experienced recently.  Give me some feedback! Anyone else with roomie pains?

4 comments:

  1. Kirk, I love the way you explain exigence! And I am glad that your roomate woes were solved so easily! Most of us aren't as lucky! haha, while I have not had many roomate troubles, I can relate to not saying anything until I am so angry, and the person with whom I have a conflict had no idea, and immediately solved the problem. We could have avoided so much... annoyance, by speaking earlier. Now we know for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of an example of my own, but you are so lucky that your roommate is so receptive. This is a really good example of an exigence and you make a really good point that people need to speak out more, and that when they do speak they need to do it respectfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you worked out your roommate problem. I tend to be the person who doesn't discuss any exigence I encounter, so I would probably continue to be annoyed and not face the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this example, Kirk. It really touches base with the whole rhetorical situation: the rhetor (you), the audience (your roommate), the problem (exigence), the context (time/place for the discussion.) So glad that the result was so favorable, too!

    ReplyDelete