Monday, April 30, 2012

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

These influential words of Nelson Mandela are something that I have always turned to when I am feeling at a loss or at a crossroad, especially in regards to my education.  There are times that I feel that I could give up and take the easy way out when things are tough or my course load feels unbearable.  At times like that, I remember these words and suddenly hope and determination begin to pulse through me again.

I am an aspiring Paterno Fellow in the College of Arts and Sciences at the Pennsylvania State University. Currently, I am double-majoring in Political Science, with a concentration on International Relations, and Mandarin Chinese.  Both of these majors require extremely vigorous classes and throughout this year there have been multiple occasions that I have stopped and asked myself "Why?".  When these doubts seep into my thoughts, I come back to the Nelson Mandela quote and remind myself to not give up or think I am taking on too much to handle.  I remind myself to not be afraid to push myself to the limit and find out what I am truly capable of becoming.

After graduation, I aspire to become a law student and then work as a lawyer in the field of international law.  These are big goals and they are not something that can be achieved with ease.  I sternly believe, however, that I have obtained the tools and qualities necessary to achieve such greatness.

The uses of rhetoric and civic life will stay with me for the rest of my years as a student and into my career as a lawyer.  During the course of my freshman year, I have learned many things-- some useful, some not-- but the way that I have learned to use language, rhetoric, and confidence in my writing and speaking methods is a big part of what will make my work shine for the rest of my life.

Link to Kirk Shields' e-Portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment